Oral bioactives effectively prevent disease, enhance natural repair and maintain health of the oral hard-tissues. However, their residence time in the mouth at effective concentrations is limited. In vitro models can guide the development of oral care formulations with improved oral substantivity. However, the physiological relevance of many existing models is limited. Further, understanding of the mechanisms involved, particularly with respect to metal ions, is limited, which hinders formulation development. We will develop more realistic models for dental erosion including salivary pellicle or an analogue (year 1), along with a more comprehensive characterisation of chemical and physical changes occurring in the enamel substrate (year 2), and the nature of mineral deposited at the enamel surface (years 2 and 3). The data will be used concurrently, with existing understanding of formulation excipients, to develop oral care formulations with enhanced delivery characteristics.
Creating a physiologically relevant in-vitro model of dental erosion
1. CARPENTER, G. H., BOZORGI, S., VLADESCU, S., FORTE, A. E., MYANT, C., POTENENI, R. V., REDDYHOFF, T. & BEIER, S. K. 2019. A study of saliva lubrication using an compliant oral mimic. Food Hydrocolloids, 92, 10-18.
2. GIBBINS, H. L., PROCTOR, G. B., YAKUBOV, G. E., WILSON, S. & CARPENTER, G. H. 2014. Concentration of salivary protective proteins within the bound oral mucosal pellicle. Oral Diseases, 20, 707-713.
3. MUTAHAR, M., CARPENTER, G., BARTLETT, D., GERMAN, M. & MOAZZEZ, R. 2017. The presence of acquired enamel pellicle changes acid-induced erosion from dissolution to a softening process. Scientific Reports, 7.
1. Milly H, Festy F, Watson TF, Thompson I, Banerjee A. Enamel white spot lesions can remineralise using bio-active glass and polyacrylic acid-modified bio-active glass powders. J Dent 2014; 42(2): 158-166. Doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2013.11.012
2. Zhang J, Lynch RJM, Watson TF, Banerjee A. Remineralisation of enamel white spot lesions pre-treated with chitosan in the presence of salivary pellicle. J Dent 2018: 72: 21-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2018.02.004
3. Zhang J, Boyes V, Festy F, Lynch RJM, Watson TF, Banerjee A. In-vitro subsurface remineralisation of artificial enamel white spot lesions pre-treated with chitosan. Dent Materials 2018; 34(8): 1154-1167. doi:10.1016/j.dental.2018.04.010