Who we are?
We are the Medical Research Council Doctoral Training Partnership (MRC DTP) at King’s College London (KCL). If you need to contact us about this privacy notice, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Why do we process your personal information?
This privacy notice relates to a Doctoral Training Programme that is funded by KCL and the UKRI Medical Research Council offering fully funded studentships.
We will generally use your personal information to provide you with the services, or information you have requested from us, in relation to the Programme.
We process your personal information in order to:
- Recruit individuals to our Doctoral Training Partnership Programme.
- Report to our funder, the UKRI MRC.
- Run the Programme.
We may need to share your information with our service providers for these purposes, but we will ensure that appropriate contracts with these parties are in place, and they only process your information in accordance with our instructions and data protection legislation.
What are the ‘legal bases for processing?’
Data protection legislation allows us to use your personal information in this way because…
- It is required to deliver an agreement (or ‘contract’) we have with you.
- We are required to do this by law.
- It is required for our public purpose as a teaching and research institution.
- It is in our legitimate interests, and that interest is not overridden by your interests and rights.
- It is required to protect your (or somebody else’s) life.
- You have actively given us your permission (or ‘consent’).
For further information regarding how we do this, please see the King’s College London Prospective Student Data Collection Notice and the Prospective Student Data Collection How do we use your information table.
To view the main ways King’s College London, use your personal information whilst you are a student at King’s College London please visit the Student Data Collection Notice.
As far as the legal basis is consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time by writing to email@example.com
Do you have to provide your personal information and what are the consequences of not doing so?
You must provide the personal information requested by law / required by our contract. If you do not, you will not be able to join our programme.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will keep your information until the grant used to fund our DTP is closed to ensure we can continue our operations and meet our reporting obligations. We will also keep your student information according to the College Records Retention Schedule:
Do we share your information with other organisations?
Your personal information may be shared with…
- Our service providers as data processors such as Qualtrics, a 3rd party provider who hosts the platform we use for the Stage One Application Process (https://www.qualtrics.com/privacy-statement/)
- Internal King’s College London Teams including Admissions and Visa Teams.
- An external funder who partners with the MRC DTP to offer an iCASE studentship.
- The UKRI MRC, as the funder (https://www.ukri.org/about-us/privacy-notice/).
- As required by the funder, Je-S
- On rare occasions, we may be required or permitted to share personal information by law (e.g. for law enforcement purposes).
What are your rights and who can you contact if you have a concern?
To find out more about how the university deals with your personal information, including your rights and who to contact if you have a concern, please see the university’s core privacy notice at: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/terms/privacy.aspx.
If you have any queries in relation to how your rights are upheld, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Will your information be transferred overseas?
When submitting a Stage One Application form, your data may be transferred overseas by Qualtrics for management and storage purposes. For further information please see https://www.qualtrics.com/privacy-statement/
Your personal information may be transferred overseas if an external funder who partners with the MRC DTP to offer an iCASE studentship is based overseas.
For countries within the European Economic Area, the data protection rules and standards are the equivalent as in the UK.
If we need to transfer any information to a country not recognised as providing equivalent protection, we will use additional safeguards as set out in the UK GDPR.
Published March 2023